Saturday, January 8, 2011

NYR People - Why I will never use this saying again!

It is a well known fact that every gym person hates the month of January at the gym and I think we all know why - the “New Years Resolution People.” Yes we name them just that. We say that “It’s OK, in February the machines won’t be busy anymore cause people will stop coming.” When I hear this OR say it (yes I admit my guilt) it kinda makes me sad. Which I wonder why do I say that? I was the New Years Resolution girl once that I guarantee you people thought the same thing of. How ridiculous.




Today I went to the Y. I hadn’t been there since Monday. Now you ALL know me well enough that I go to the gym pretty much every single day. Well between being sick on Tuesday and just having a shitty week Wednesday through Friday I didn’t go. Again - SO not like me, especially when I about had a heart attack on Monday when I had gained major poundage in a 3 day time period. And I mean 9 pounds major! I have NO idea how that happened, not like I spent 3 days straight at Ponderosa or anything - it was the holidays, whatever. Over and Done.



I am happy to report that as of this morning (Saturday) I have lost 9.8 pounds since Monday! Don’t ask me how, I have no clue - especially when I didn’t hit the gym for 4 days straight. Any who…



So I go into the gym and yes, low and behold, there are “NYR” people everywhere. But there were free machines which made me happy. I worked the treadmill and then hit the weights and the weight machines. In front of me on the one machine was a NYR person. I thought I knew her. She got up from her machine and said “Well I think I’m done.” Again, I thought I knew her and I said “Do you think you can do more?” And I wasn’t being a smart ass I just thought that some kind of encouragement would maybe help her.



She said “Yah I think I can but I don’t want to push it. I just started working out and I heard weights are the key to losing weight. I said “Well maybe, I don’t know, I didn’t start lifting until I lost my weight, I found that cardio was the key for me. Cheryl (NYR lady) says “Oh did you lose weight?”

HERE WE GO the million dollar question that turns a 3 sentence conversation into a 45 minute interview. I answered and yes, 45 minutes later she said to me:

“You know I am so glad I talked to you. You are my inspiration. I started Weight Watchers in November and I have only lost 7 pounds. I weighed 318 pounds when I got on that scale. I never told anyone that but I feel like I can tell you that and not be embarrassed because you have been there. Oh I am just so happy that I talked to you.”



GULP.



I have to tell you that I absolutely HATE when someone says that I am their inspiration or their Hero. I don’t know, maybe I don’t. It is a double edged sword. It is me being looked up to which means I can’t slip up. That is the other side of the sword - being someone’s inspiration means you cannot fail…you try your best….you work out like crazy…you watch what you eat. It is frustrating.



This past Sunday we were at Eat n Park for the breakfast buffet which was also a brunch and we ran into our Real Estate Agent that sold us our house 12 years ago on 1/29/99. She told me “You look absolutely fantastic, how did you lose your weight?” Maybe I should think about printing brochures to pass out when people ask the question. After a quick 2 minute Cliff Notes version of my story I went to the buffet. Now I am pissed off. Why am I pissed off? CAUSE NOW I CAN’T EAT BACON. NOW I CAN’T EAT SAUSAGE. NOW I CAN’T EAT ANYTHING BAD FOR ME! Why? Because Susie and her family are sitting at a table that I have to walk past to get to our table. And of course, when I did get some potato soup and put cheese and croutons on top (oh maybe that was the weight gain problem, hmm) I see her and she says “Now how can you eat that and be skinny?” UGH!!!!!!!



#1 - I am not skinny.

#2 - Susie stop over (you know where I live) and watch me weigh myself Monday morning.

#3 - I realize that this meal is gonna result in a 2 hour gym time come Monday night.

I came home from the gym this morning/afternoon and told Dave “Sorry I took so long I had a talker on my hands.” He asked who and what about and I told him Cheryl’s whole story and what we talked about. Dave said “You know what Mandy yah, maybe she did disrupt your work out for a while (writers note - I didn’t think that since I initiated the conversation) but YOU just made that woman feel better about herself. You gave her inspiration and you showed her that you can lose the weight on Weight Watchers and have success.”



With that I vow to never think of someone as a NYR at the gym again. Never.

No comments:

Post a Comment